Arts & Culture 
 Human Rights 
 U.S. Asian Policy 

Home > East Asia > 

Man beaten to death while appealing to Chinese Supreme Court
Zhao Zifa, The Epoch Times

Angry appellants assemble to protest police brutality on the site of Wang Yuanshun’s murder.

At 3:00 a.m., August 17th, Wang Yuanshun, an older man from Baiyun City of Gansu Province, was beaten to death in front of the Appeal Office of the Supreme Court in Beijing, according to witnesses. Over a dozen people who were also appealing that day confirmed that Wang was beaten to death by policemen. Witnesses to the crime were either detained or sent back to their hometowns. Beijing police said that the medical examiner’s report would indicate Wang died of a heart attack. At the time of this report, no one is being held responsible for his death.
This incident occurred on the eve of the Fourth Plenary Conference of the Communist Party of China.

Wang and his wife had been appealing to the courts for the last ten years, seeking justice foir their son, who they say died from punishment for a false charge. Other people there for appeals said that Wang waited in front of the Supreme Court almost every day. According to Wang’s wife and the crowd who witnessed the attack, Wang entered the reception room when his name was called. A policemen said, “Why did you come in when we didn’t call you?” They grabbed him by the neck and pushed him out of the Supreme Court building. Reportedly, the old man was injured so badly that he needed medical treatment, but he died at 3:00 a.m. in front of the Supreme Court still struggling with the pain from his injuries.

The people on the scene started calling the police early in the morning, requesting assistance. The police finally responded after numerous calls. When the police learned that he dead man had come to appeal, they responded that they would not come until the dead man’s identification was verified.

During this time, two policemen in the Supreme Court came out to monitor Wang’s wife and would not let her talk to anyone. They took Wang Yuanshun’s package of materials inside. Then, they quickly brought his wife inside the Supreme Court building.

A person Jilin Province who had also come to appeal said, “He was probably beaten to death by the policemen. There were black and blue marks on his back ribcage area. There were also bruises around his neck. Maybe the policemen beat him up and then grabbed him by his neck, throwing him out of the Supreme Court. The policemen inside the Supreme Court building beat people like this all the time. These same people handled his son’s case. So, he knew they beat people inside and then they just haul you out by grabbing your neck.”

Another person added that the previous day, before the incident with Wang, policemen inside the Supreme Court building beat a lady from southern China.

A former Heilongjiang policeman in the appeal unit, Li Guozhu said, “We have verified the cause of death. His body had many wounds and there were rope marks around his neck. The left hand had a needle mark from an injection. The hand was black within a 3-centimeter radius of the mark. It is possible he was poisoned. Yesterday, he was kicked out of the Supreme People’s Court and struggled in pain just outside the door. He didn’t pass away until about 3:00 a.m. today. He died of his injuries. He was definitely beaten to death by the police.”

By noontime, Wang’s body smelled very strong. The people there to file appeals covered his body with some leaves and grass. Finally, his wife was released from the office. She was confused, absentminded and her speech was not unintelligible. Apparently, she was too scared- or drugged- to tell people what had occurred with her husband.
Wang’s body lay in front of the gates of the Supreme Court for 12 hours. No one from the government offered any help or made any investigation. Thousands of appealers were enraged by the arrogance of the Beijing police. The police even threatened to gag the helpless woman. There were a lot of people on the spot shouting and posting slogans to protest the violence. They discussed staging a march with Wang’s body.

At 12:25 p.m., policemen from the Youanmen police station came and immediately blocked off the scene with police tape. When they learned that the people who were there to appeal planned on staging a march, they attempted to pull Wang’s body away from the crowd. But the crowd blocked the police and accused them of neglecting their duty. The people shouted slogans and fought with police for the corpse. Finally, the police began to beat people in the crowd. A six-year-old disabled boy without any hands was beaten until blood ran from his mouth and nose. Jiang Jinmei, a lady from Dalian city, was kicked unconscious by two policemen. At last, the policemen got Wang’s body. They took his body, his wife and ten of the people who witnessed Wang’s death away.

Jiang Jinmei and the bloody boy were taken to a hospital by ambulance. Shortly, a police car pulled up, and the occupants threw Jiang out of the car onto the ground in front of the Supreme Court. It turn out that she was denied medical treatment because she could not afford it. Apparently, the hospital involved was Beijing Xuanwu Hospital.

At 6:00 p.m., a group of about forty people assembled, hoisting Jiang uo on a door, planning to carry her to Tiananmen Square to protest the violence of the police. The group attempted to board city bus #20. The bus driver called the police. Five police vehicles came to the bus station immediately. The police promised the enraged crowd that the police would resolve the issue, but they didn’t help the wounded lady lying on the door. The police, and the crowd, waited until past midnight when the bus service to Tiananmen Square had ended, and then withdrew in a leisurely manner from the bus station. The protest had to be cancelled and all the promises made by the police came to nothing.

Many people witnessed the scene of Wang’s death in front of the Supreme Court. They signed statements and applied their fingerprints as proof of identification, affirming that Wang died from being beaten by policemen in the Supreme Court. They believed it would be pretty easy to find out who had murdered him, once an investigation was activated, because the Supreme Court Security staff is limited in number. However, Wang’s wife was not set released from detention until three days later. An independent source verified that three of the witnesses taken away by Youanmen police were still in prison, three were returned to their home towns in Xijiang. No further information is known about the remaining witnesses.

According to a source who knows the inside story, the policemen have already made a deal whereby Wang’s wife will be compensated with money and the problem of the original appeal resolved, if she keeps quiet and states that her husband died from being angry. They will sign a death certificate which will indicate he died of a heart attack. Otherwise, she won’t get one cent.

Several days after Wang’s death, another appellant was found dead on the street by the Appeals Office. Again, the police did nothing to address the issue. According to the latest news, the Beijing authorities began cracking down on those appealing in front of the Supreme Court, the Relief center, the Appealer’s village and underground channels. By September 3, about 20,000 were detained in Shijingshan Gym, except for those who were returned to their hometowns.

Beijing residents are forbidden to rent houses to those appealing. Otherwise, a US$600 fine will be charged for each person found renting. The plastic shanties in the appealer’s village were burned down and the underground channels are now raided frequently. Those who are lucky enough to survive the massive raids will be homeless once again.

© Copyright 2002-2007 AFAR