Arts & Culture 
 Human Rights 
 U.S. Asian Policy 

Home > East Asia > 

Beijing involved in hacking scheme
Epoch Times

 Related Articles
Traditional Culture: One Must Pay Back One's Debts
Acts Upon a Stage (Part 5 of 5)
Acts Upon a Stage (Part 4)
Acts Upon a Stage (Part 3)
Taiwan's Culture of Food
Acts Upon a Stage (Part II)
Chinese Dance in Ancient History
Acts Upon a Stage (Part I)
A Story from History: Jiang Balang Paid His Debt
China's Slavery Scandal Reveals Weaknesses in Governance
Evidence suggests that the Chinese government is engaging in hacking of dissident computers outside of China. It is difficult to exactly pinpoint the culprit in hacking schemes; however, Falun Gong practitioners in the United States, Australia, Canada and United Kingdom have collected evidence that supports the allegation of the Chinese government's involvement.

According to Bob McWee, of Middletown MD, the news of the Chinese government launching their brutal attack on Falun Gong in July of 1999 quickly spread due to extensive computer networking by Falun Gong practitioners around the globe.

“Instantaneous news report of the arrests, torture or deaths of practitioners were picked up by global media sources, but the sites began to suffer from anomalous crashes and upon examination it was found that it was caused by a sophisticated series of computer attacks.”

McWee established a Falun Dafa website in 1999, but within weeks the performance of the site slowed down and suffered from an attack known as a “denial-of-service attack” in which the computer is flooded with incomplete requests for data and subsequently crashes.

“But I was able to backtrack and the revealed source had an IP address of China. And through further investigation the number was found to originate from the Ministry of Public Security,” said McWee.

The report’s collected evidence, suggests that the real culprit in the computer attacks against Falun Gong sites was the Ministry of Public Security (MPS).

According to McWee, first, the network was established shortly before the information operation began and not identified as MPS network. Secondly, the name of the organization in the database—information Service Center—suggests intent to deceive its actual affiliation. Thirdly, at least one Western media source claimed to have called the telephone numbers and was told by the person answering the phone that the numbers belonged to the Ministry of Public Security. The fourth and most telling piece of evidence resulted directly from the impending exposure in the Western media of the network's governmental affiliation.

Probably as a result of the increasing media attention, especially an imminent article by Michael Laris in the Washington Post, the information in the APNIC database was altered on 29 July 1999. Most important, the owners of the network space changed the street address of the owner of the network from #14 East Chang'an Street to #6 Zhengyi Road (MPS address).

“If the Chinese government was not responsible for the attacks, we wonder why go through all the trouble of changing the database information to an address other than MPS headquarters?” said McWee

A twist in this fascinating plot came when McWee was contacted by a network engineer at the Department of Transportation (DOT), Everett Dowd, deputy director of telecommunications in the DOT information Technology Operation office was wondering why three Falun Dafa websites were sending unauthorized packets to a DOT server. McWee thinks that the Chinese government wanted it to look as if the Falun Gong site was engaging in information operation against the U.S. government site.

“At the time of the attack, the entire Chinese governmental propaganda apparatus was in high gear, branding Falun Gong as a 'dangerous cult' to justify the killing of practitioners.”

Reports of Falun Gong websites crashing from the denial-of-service technique have been reported in England, Australia, Ireland and Canada, and they bear similarities in the source of IP addresses. An attack on one site disabled the server, deleted the original files and replaced the text from Xinhua News Agency that slanders the founder of Falun Gong.

Attacks on Falun Gong servers peaked in mid-April 2000, when five sites--three in the United States (,, and two in Canada ( and smurf-attacked simultaneously.

The timing of the attacks coincided with two sensitive political events: (1) the impending vote in the United Nations Human Rights Commission on a UN resolution condemning Chinese human-rights abuses, including persecution of Falun Gong; and (2) the one-year anniversary of the April 25, 1999, gathering of Falun Gong practitioners outside the central leadership compound in Beijing.

© Copyright 2002-2007 AFAR